This has to be my favorite comfort food. At one time I was making these in a pressure cooker to save time, or so I thought Making them in a slow cooker takes up much less of the cooks time and is far more nutritious. This is super simple and pretty much guaranteed to please.
For the sake of keeping with the original recipe today I made them on the stove.
Mrs Dull’s recipe is on page 94 of “Southern Cooking”.
- I’ve added chicken broth as a replacement for part of the water. The more you can add, the richer the taste and the more mineral rich your dish will be.
- I’ve soaked the peas in whey for 24 hours prior to cooking. Mrs Dull suggest soaking overnight in water.
Black Eyed Peas Southern Style
- 3 Cups Black Eyed Peas
- 2 Tablespoons of Whey
- 2 cups of broth, roughly
- A few strips of bacon
- Filtered Water for soaking
- A good largish pot, enameled cast iron preferably
- The day before rinse the peas well, picking out any grit or bad peas.
- Put them in the pot with about double the amount water needed to cover the peas. Add the whey and stir. You’ll need the extra water because the peas will swell quite a bit. Let it sit for 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook pour the peas in the colander and rinse again.
- Put the peas back in the pot with enough water to cover. Add the bacon.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and let cook for about 2 hours, until the peas are soft but not disintegrating. Add salt to taste.
Then serve. I’d pretty much guarantee a line for first dibs!
Links to articles on black eyed peas
These recipes are spicy versions of traditional black eyed peas. Looks pretty yummy, but don’t forget to soak your peas in whey first!
- DivasCanCook – Spicy Black Eyed Peas video tutorial on YouTube.
- A Southern Fairytale – this one includes jalapenos for spice!
"Lots of good coconut oils, flakes and flours here ..."
This post is part of Gnowfglin’s Simple Thursday, Healthy Home Economists Monday Mania, Traditional Tuesday at Cooking Traditional Foods, Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Food Renegade’s Fight Back Friday.