Look on any kid’s menu at any restaurant in North America and what will you find? Chicken Nuggets! Hard to believe that this dish hardly existed before fast food engineers came up with it. And of course, all the chicken nuggets you get in these restaurants are bad for you. They are all fried at a high temperature in hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. And let’s not even talk about the source of the meat!
Kid’s love ‘em, and my kids begged and pleaded for them just like everyone else’s. What to do, what to do? In the face of such overwhelming demand, I came up with this simple recipe. Over the years I’ve made these with a variety of different frying fats. For years I made them with olive oil, which is tasty but not ideal. Refined coconut oil works out great! I’d been looking for a way to get a little more coconut oil in and this old time favorite fits the bill.
Are you ever too old for chicken nuggets? My kids are grown now, but chicken nuggets remain a favorite in our home. Maybe they’ll be in your home too! I usually make about twice this amount so we’ll have leftovers. Not that they last long though .
Recipe Type: Main Dish
Prep Time: 5 minutes – PT5M
Cook time: 10 minutes – PT10M
Yield: 4 servings
- Chicken – 1 lb
- Flour – 1 Cup
- Refined Coconut Oil – 1/2 Cup
- Granulated Garlic – 1 Tbsp
- Granulated Onion – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – 2-4 tsps
- Cast iron skillet, enameled or not. If you don’t have one, just use a stainless skillet instead.
- Small bowl for mixing
- Knife and Spatula
- Cut your chicken into bite sized portions. If you get a stir fry cut it’ll be much quicker. I try to keep some around for busy times so I have something to fall back on.
- Put the flour, garlic, salt and onion powder in the bowl and mix together.
- Heat up the coconut oil in your pan.
- Coat the chicken with the flour mixture then drop in the pan when it’s good and hot.
- Let cook till you see some browning around the edges, then flip carefully to the other side.
- Wait another 3-5 minutes, or so then stir a bit. Continue to stir till it’s browned to your liking. If your unsure if it’s cooked thru, just cut a nugget with the spatula and check .
- And it’s done! Just pair it with some rice or potatoes and some buttered veggies and your good to go.
"A must read for anyone wanting to get healthy. The bonus is the weight loss."
Check out Eat Fat, Lose Fat on Amazon >
This post is shared at Made By You Monday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Homestead Barnhop, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Party Wave Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Small Footprint Friday and Sunday School.