Last week I posted an attempt at changing up Mrs Dull’s wonderful old-fashioned white cake to a healthier version that went badly awry. This week I’ve made a second pass at it and we have — Success!
Since a lack of moisture for soaking was the source of my overzealous addition of buttermilk I decided to switch to honey as my sweetener. But in addition to that, I can get honey much cheaper than sucanet and it’s local too! Double bonus points! So I’d rather use the honey. I bumped up the baking powder just a touch and added 1/2 cup of water. I went very slowly this time adding more liquid, just a little at a time till the batter looked about right. I think I must have added more buttermilk than I thought in last week’s failed version.
I’ll post the frosting in a bit. For now, it is very similiar to this one from Our Nourishing Roots.
Mrs Dull’s recipe is on page 247 of “Southern Cooking”.
- Replaced most of the water with buttermilk.
- Replaced the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour.
- Soaked the flour for 7 hrs in a buttermilk, water and honey mixture.
- Replaced the sugar with honey.
Soaked Whole Wheat White Cake
Recipe Type: Desert
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 3 Cups
- Traditional Buttermilk – 2/3 Cup
- Egg Whites – 6
- Honey – 2/3 Cup
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 5 teaspoons
- Butter – 3/4 Cup
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Mixer (optional)
- 2 Bowls and a spoon
- 2 Cake Tins
- Cooling Rack
- Blend the buttermilk, honey and water with the whole wheat flour and put aside for at least 7 hours.
- Blend the butter with buttermilk/flour mixture in a separate bowl. Mix in the egg whites. Mix in the baking powder and vanilla.
- Butter the tins well and pour into the tins.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 375 until the center is done.
- Remove from tins and place on a cooling rack.
This post is shared at Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop, This Chick Cooks Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Freak’s Freaky Friday, Food Renegade’s Fight Back Friday, Real Food Whole Health’s Fresh Bites Friday, Butter Believer’s Sunday School and Gnowfglin’s Simple Thursday.