I love potato soup! Potato soup is always greeted with excitement in our house by one and all. Usually when I make potato soup I use a mix of broth and heavy whipping cream instead of milk, but I buy a ton of cream for cooking. You might not want to do that, or then again maybe you would ;-). Milk is more affordable than cream in general making this recipe more practical for more families.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 8-10 Potatoes (medium)
- 1 Whole Onion (chopped)
- 3 Carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 6 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 1/4 cup Potato Starch
- 2 quarts Milk
- Wash and chop potatoes into uniform sized pieces (leave the skins on for added nutrition)
- Place potatoes in about an inch of water and salt and pepper generously (The key to good potato soup is here, getting the potatoes salted well!)
- Bring water to a boil then back down to a simmer and leave the lid on to cook potatoes until tender (10-15 minutes)
- While potatoes are simmering, add the better and chopped vegetables into a pan and sautee until the onions are golden (This will help give your soup a sweeter flavor)
- When potatoes are done, add the sautéed vegetables to the potatoes and water.
- Add milk (leaving one cup to mix the starch in) and bring to a light simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the starch with the reserved cup of milk while you bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the starch while stirring constantly for two minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cheese and bacon (Optional but yummy!)
The Conversation is Happening on YouTube
While comments are off on the blog, they are open on YouTube. Drop by and let us know what you thought!Granny's Vital Vittles on YouTube